The Bottom Line
- Excellent Italian food
- Great pizza
- Best marinara sauce
- Family Friendly
- Fun atmosphere
- Expect a wait during busy times
- Noisy atmosphere
- Garlic breath
- Because it couples great food with large portions, all at a reasonable price, Saggios is a favorite of UNM students.
- I have yet to find a better marinara sauce in town. Beneath the cheese topping on a pizza crust, it is pure pizza heaven.
- Discover the wall murals at Saggios. From Einstein to the Beatles, they cover the walls with pop culture icons.
- The dessert taxi cab cart has some of the best desserts in town. Try the cheesecake. Their cannoli is imported from Italy.
- The pasta dishes are exceptional because the pasta is made fresh daily.
- Pizza dough and calzone crusts are just the right thickness and have just the right amount of chewiness.
- A sports bar features the latest games on overhead tv screens.
- Take out is an option for those who need Italian but don't have the time.
- Open until 10:00 p.m. weeknights
Open until 11:00 p.m. weekends
- 107 Cornell SE
Guide Review - Saggio's Italian Restaurant
Saggios' marinara sauce is simply the best in town. No matter what it tops, from lasagna to spagetti, it makes any dish taste perfect. Their pizza comes in a solid pie, with a thin crust that's puffy around the edges, where it counts. Calzones are cooked to a golden, crispy crust that tops the delicious fillings inside. The food is simply terrific, and kids love it beyond the pizza.
Start with the fried four cheese ravioli, (4.99), a favorite of our family. Entrees are so large, they can easily be shared. When a friend of mine takes her daughters to Saggios, they split the meals and often have leftovers for later.
The calzones can be ordered with a variety of fillings, from eggplant to the traditional meatball. Every one is delicious, but expect to pack some home. They come with pasta sides and a wonderful focaccia bread.
All pastas are made from scratch, which is why I have probably eaten more manicotti at Saggios than anywhere else in town. The pasta is perfect, so try the My Way Lasagna, which is a mix and match of fillings and sauces.
Salads are filling and delicious, and make an entire meal if you're not in the mood for Italian. Try the Sicilian salad, which comes with artichokes, kalamata olives, Roma tomatoes, red and green peppers and red onion.
When it comes to Italian desserts, Saggios offers some delicious choices. Their cheesecake comes from New York, and it tastes it, with authentic cream cheese flavor in a thick crumb. Their cannoli is simply wonderful, and my son swears by it. Could it be because it's imported from Italy?