Marriage licenses in Albuquerque are acquired in a matter of a few steps. It's important to understand the legal requirements for obtaining a marriage license in Albuquerque.
The County Clerk's office is the only agency that can issue marriage licenses, and in Albuquerque, that means the Bernalillo county clerk's office. As of August 26, 2013, marriage licenses for same-sex couples can also be issued in the county.
Registering for a marriage licenses happens with the county clerk. Cost for a marriage license application is $25. Once a marriage license application has been filed, the record is permanent. Marriage records are permanent as well.
Marriage License Requirements:
- One male, one female
- Same sex couples
- Both applicants must be present
- Both applicants must be at least 18 years old
- Both applicants need a birth certificate or current legal picture ID
- Both applicants need proof of a social security number
- Parental consent is required for any applicant 16 or 17 years of age
- Court orders are required for anyone under 16 years of age
Once a marriage license has been applied for, it is immediately valid. Marriage licenses do not expire.
What's NOT needed:
- Blood tests
Bernalillo County Clerk
One Civic Plaza NW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The clerk's office is located on the 6th floor.
Information on marriage licenses and applying for a license can be obtained at (505) 468-1243.
Any ordained or licensed clergyperson can perform the marriage ceremony. Justices of the peace may officiate as well.
Two witnesses are required for your wedding ceremony.